Sunday, February 7, 2010

When is it safe to hold the baby mice?

Mommy is having her babies now. Actually got a glimpse of two of them. I was trying to learn when is it safe for me to hold them? I don't want her to abandon them. I read that you can start holding them a couple days after birth and that will tame them. Getting used to being handled. Is this true? Thanks in advance!When is it safe to hold the baby mice?
My mouse had babies and i started to hold them when they started getting some fur. I held them with a towel spread out on the bath tub floor (covering the drain of course) and let them run around (in my site). after i was done petting at holding them i sort of took a hand full and carefully placed them back to the mom. dont take the mom out when u r holding the babies in the tub. hope this helps! :)When is it safe to hold the baby mice?
Like rats you can hold baby mice after they have had there first feeding. You definatly need to hold them after the first feeding to start socializing them. That is very important to having sweet and friendly furballs. She wont abandon them from you holding them. But be forewarned so mother rodents are tigers when it comes to there babies. I have had mother rats that could care less when I stuck my hand in the cage to pick up and check the babies and I have had some mothers that were down right feral. One even chomped into my pinky and severed my nerve. So now my tip of my pinky is numb. Cant feel it. Good luck with your babies.
I had a mother rat that I got when she was a baby and I was able to hold her babies about an hour after they all were born, she did not care. I think it depends on how close you are with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment