Wednesday, February 10, 2010

If it were up to you how would you end ';Of Mice and Men'; by John Steinbeck?

If you could chose your own ending for this book, instead of George shooting Lennie, what would it be?





Only answer if you have read the book please.If it were up to you how would you end ';Of Mice and Men'; by John Steinbeck?
WOW!


Good question.


It took some thinking, but in the end I wouldn't change it.


I believe that by having George shoot Lennie, Steinbeck freed Lennie. It was an act of compassion and the other men on the farm were going to torture him and hurt him. It was hard for George because he really did love Lennie and he knew that this was the only way he could ever be free and happy.If it were up to you how would you end ';Of Mice and Men'; by John Steinbeck?
I haven't read that book since I was a freshman in high school but I still remember the ending and while it pissed me off I know that George did what had to be done. Because the reality is that if he'd hadn't killed Lennie one of the other men would have and they wouldn't have been as humane about it. George didn't want to do it but he knew it was the only way. And honestly I wouldn't change the ending, because as much as it sucked it was the way it had to be.
I was devastated once I finished it. But you have to realize, and consider it...what George did was completely out of his respect and love for Lennie. If he hadn't shot him, Lennie would either be thrown in jail, or worse, shot by a monster like Curley. Steinbeck has truly written a beautiful classic. I love the way he paints his nature scenes at the beginning and end chapters. They describe the same place but it's a different environment entirely.


I wouldn't choose to end it any differently.
I wouldn't change it at all. As horribly sad as it was that George shot Lennie, he did it out of love. He couldn't bare to see Lennie upset, so he killed him. It was horrible for the two of them. But oh man so sad...





I love that book.
nuclear holocaust, followed by George and Lennie becoming flesh eating zombies
i would of let the other guys shoot him. he had to be stopped i would feel bad shooting him myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment